Matlock / Bakewell gym - Blog
The Woodlands newsletter: Monday 10th June 2019
Monday 10th June 2019
The first newsletter I wrote after we moved to our new location listed all of the equipment we'd brought with us. Since then, I've consistently been adding new equipment.
Today, 7 new pairs of Technogym dumbbells have been delivered so we now have 2 well equipped dumbbell areas: downstairs, there are 2 flat/incline benches with Jordans dumbbells from 10kg to 52.5kg. Upstairs, in a large matted area, there are 3 flat/incline benches and 28 pairs of dumbbell pairs from 1kg to 42.5kg.
The ground floor space accommodates the majority of our weight lifting equipment. This includes:
1) Nytram Leg press
2) Power Fabrications Power cage
3) Power Fabrications Smith machine
4) Hammer Strength squat rack
5) Power Fabrications ISO row
6) Force lying leg curl
7) Life Fitness seated leg curl
8) Life Fitness seated leg extension
9) Life Fitness lat pulldown
10) Life Fitness seated pec dec
11) Nytram low cable row
12) Seated calf raise
13) Jordans dumbbells from 10kg to 52.5kg (in 2.5kg incrememts).
14) Technogym single cable machine
15) Incline / flat / decline benches.
New equipment for downstairs:
16) Life Fitness seated chest press
17) Life Fitness seated shoulder press
18) Matrix seated adductor machine
19) Pulse ab curl machine
20) Pulse assisted chin & dip machine
21) Precor Icarian flat barbell bench press
22) Nytram hack squat.
This floor also accommodates the reception area and the changing rooms.
The first floor is a vast open plan space flooded with natural light through windows that open - so the space can be more effectively cooled in the summer months. There is also heating for the winter months. It's lovely getting to a warm facility on these cold winter mornings.
The first floor space accommodates our studio / classes / group personal training area. There is also:
1) A secondary 12ft x 20ft matted dumbbell area with incline / flat benches, mirrors and Jordans dumbbells from 1kg to 25kg.
2) Nytram preach curl bench
3) Power Fabrications back extention
4) Technogym single cable machine
5) Dual Adjustable cable machine
6) Life Fitness treadmill / cross trainers / bikes
7) Concept 2 rowers
8) Large Escape fitness matted area with lots of foam roles and core training apparatus
9) Miscellaneous functional apparatus including battling ropes, ketllebells (up to 28kg), skipping ropes
New equipment for upstairs:
10) Technogym dumbbells 18kg to 32kg (in 2kg increments).
11) Cybex CR1 Lat Pulldown
12) 5ft Olympic bars and new EZ bars.
A personal trainer is a great resource.
A good trainer usually has a network of other specialists in the areas of nutrition, naturopathic medicine, massage, and more. Your trainer can refer you to the right specialists for all your non-exercise health needs.
The Woodlands Fitness Centre offers Unlimited Classes / Group training sessions:
* There are 43 group training sessions per week, including: Condition, Total, Upper, Lower, Core, Circuit and HIIT.
* Introducing new '30m' groups: these 30 minute Classes / Group training sessions are condensed versions of our normal groups, designed to pack in high intensity exercise to push you to the next level and really make the most of your time here!
* We now have a 5pm Group on every weekday!
* The Tuesday 6.45pm Group is now Circuit.
* We have added a second Group class to Sunday morning to accommodate the increasing demand
* Classes / Group training sessions are now strictly limited to 6 people! This is to ensure you get a higher quality of coaching and support.
* All of our classes are £7 to non-members.
* We always prefer an informal approach - so we will be maintaining the booking forms in the gym. All bookings can be made in the gym, by phone, e-mail or via social media. How you book in isn't important; we just care that you attend regularly.
Group Training membership prices:
12 months: £30pm
3 months: £35pm
1 month: £40pm
12 months: £35pm
3 months: £40pm
1 month: £45pm
Here is a list of our group training sessions:
Gym Only memberships:
Single (per month):
12 months: £23
3 months: £25
1 month: £27
Joint/Student (per month):
12 months: £20
3 months: £23
1 month: £26
Student prices are only for students in full time education.
30 minutes: £13 (£17)
45 minutes: £19 (£23)
60 minutes: £25 (£29)
The price in brackets is for non-members.
PT offer of the week:
Buy 6 x 45 minute PT sessions and get 2 x 45 minute PT sessions free...
Yep, that's 8 x 45 minute PT sessions for the price of 6!
Only £152 (£184 for non-members).
6 weeks gym membership.
Calorie target setting advice.
All PT sessions must be used within 6 weeks.
We use time limits with our personal training packages to encourage frequent and consistent training. Packages can be designed to your individual needs. We can adjust the time limits in advance to take into account holidays, business trips, etc.
All of our PT packages include full gym & classes membership.
Monday: 7.30am - 9.00pm
Tuesday: 9.00am - 9.00pm
Wednesday: 7.30am - 9.00pm
Thursday: 9.00am - 9.00pm
Friday: 7.30am - 8.00pm
Saturday: 8.00am - 2.00pm
Sunday 8.00am - 2.00pm
We always want to know what you think of the Woodlands Fitness Centre - the gym, prices, personal training, group personal training, and anything else. Please speak to us at the gym, email any feedback and suggestions to the email address at the end of this newsletter.
Training with shoulder or elbow issues
Given that we've just received a delivery of 7 pairs of Technogym dumbbells 20kg to 32kg (in 2kg increments), I should probably write about the benefits of dumbbells. Fixed resistance machines do have their place in the fitness universe - but dumbbells are where it's at. For many, many reasons.
If you have had previous shoulder or elbow issues, I recommend you use mostly dumbbells in your training.
Sometimes trainees who experience discomfort with a barbell exercise can perform the dumbbell version without any trouble.
This is why many of my favourite upper body and lower body exercises use dumbbells. Use a dumbbell standing press instead of a barbell press. Do a dumbbell row instead of a barbell row.
If you've noticed some problems with certain upper body barbell exercises, try swapping them out for the dumbbell version and see how things feel.
If you need any further information or advice, please come and talk to me.
How Often Should You Do HIIT Workouts?
I'm a big fan of HIIT workouts, hence running HIIT classes and incorporating HIIT into my Group PT and 1-to-1 PT sessions - but I've always seen them as an accompaniment to resistance based workouts.
30 minutes of HIIT each week might seem really short - but that's more than enough to see serious benefits. In a 30-minute class, only 10 to 15 minutes of the workout are spent in the max heart-rate zone.
Studies show that 15 minutes of HIIT training can show similar performance benefits to longer, lower-intensity workouts. This means that you can get similar exercise benefits in a much shorter amount of time. I often use Tabata for a killer four-minute workout.
Before you start reducing your HIIT volume, figure out how many of your workouts really qualify as HIIT. A true HIIT workout contains intervals of intensity during which it would be nearly impossible to speak or to maintain the output for longer than two minutes. So if you're constantly twittering on, then you're not doing a proper HIIT workout.
If you need any further information or advice, please come and talk to me.
Spicy Chipotle Salmon Recipe
This is also one summer meal that really pulls its own weight from a nutritional perspective. Salmon is most famous for its Omega-3 fats, but it's also full of important micronutrients like iron, B vitamins, and the antioxidant mineral selenium.
A great side dish for this would be cauliflower "rice" mixed with some roasted red peppers for flavour and colour.
2 lbs. salmon fillet, skin on;
2 tbsp. olive oil;
Juice and zest of 1 lime;
1 chipotle chili;
2 tsp. adobo sauce;
1/2 tsp. ground cumin;
1 clove garlic, minced;
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
1 cedar plank, soaked in water for 2 hours; (optional)
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
Combine the olive oil, lime juice and zest, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, cumin and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth.
Spread the chipotle mixture all over the salmon, making sure it's well covered.
Place the salmon on the plank or directly on the grill and cook, covered, for 18 to 20 minutes.
Serve with fresh guacamole.
STASI, the East German secret police, managed to duplicate the scent of a female dog in heat. They would apply it to the shoes of people they had under surveillance. If they needed to track them down, they just had to let some male dogs follow the scent.
Stuart Pearson ordered a Big Mac at Burger King. And he got it.
If you stand at the bottom of a well you would be able to see the stars even in the middle of the day.
Toby Rice beat the sun in a staring contest.
Arnold Schwarzenegger began his transition from Austrian bodybuilder into an American film star when he made his screen debut in 1970 under the name "Arnold Strong" in "Hercules Goes Bananas."
The Woodlands Fitness Centre Ltd
A: Unit 27, Molyneux Business Park, Darley Dale, Derbyshire, DE4 2HJ
T: (01629) 733 123